Last week I was assigned to customize a list page. Here are the steps and some issues I faced during this assignment.
Design / Customization phase:
- Open SharePoint site
- Navigate to List
- Select on the List and then click customize form (it by default shows InfoPath icon)
- This will open the NewForm.aspx page in InfoPath
- Make necessary changes and publish / quick publish it to SharePoint
- By default it publishes to the same list. (to change the default quick publish option we have to dig hard and change some codes inside that form xml. I will discuss on it later)
- That’s it now you have customized InfoPath form loaded to your list
- Now where to check this is the same customized form you published via InfoPath?
- From Ribbon select Item > New Item
- This should open up a customized form.
- To reconfirm it, open this list in SPD or in explorer view
- Now go to Forms folder and confirm Newfs.aspx page resides there
Known issue / troubleshooting phase:
- I noticed this issue most of the times when we customize list newform it only updated in Ribbon part, in other words it only updates content type filed.
- I faced an issue with add new item option which we generally find below all items
When I clicked on it, I found the old / original newform.aspx page opening.